All Board members were present, with the exception of Arthur Oliver.
Superintendent Billy Walker was excited to present a Super Bowl 50 football sent by the NFL in honor of the 50th Super Bowl anniversary, presented to the former Clay County High School, in recognition of the former Clay County High School graduate Howard “House” Ballard. This golden football was given in honor of Ballard’s accomplishment of playing in Super Bowls XXV, XXVI, XXVII and XXVIII for the Buffalo Bills.
The NFL recognized every player in the NFL who had ever played in a Super Bowl with these footballs presented to their former high school and community. This was a total of 3000 players and 2000 different schools across the country. In addition to this, the NFL will also send character education teaching materials to Clay Central Head Coach Herron and his staff for the Volunteer players ( since there is no Clay County High School).
Ballard was unable to be present for this special award, since he had recently accepted the Offensive Line Coach for Lane College in Tennessee, but expressed his gratitude to Superintendent Walker via phone. Ballard stated he was very appreciative to the Board members, the Clay County Education System and to this former Coach, Richard Beverly for laying the foundation for his NFL career. Ballard also mentioned his former Coach was going to be honored with an induction to the Alabama State Football Hall of Fame in March .
Walker spoke fondly of his former classmate: “That’s just what kind of person Howard is, always thinking of others. I had the pleasure and honor of growing up with and playing football side by side with him. Howard is just a good a person as he was a football player. I’m very proud of Howard and his accomplishments.
The following items on the agenda were approved, as recommended by the Superintendent:
- approval of the attached 2 year Real Estate Lease of the Board Room from the Estate of Kenneth F. Ingram. The annual rental fee will be $2,400.00. (see attachment)
- Recommended by the Superintendent, approval of the Financial Reports for January 2016
- Recommended by the Superintendent, approval of the minutes from the January 19, 2016, and the February 4, 2016, meetings.
- Approval of Item 1A, ( an addition to the agenda)
- approval of the agenda.
- approval for Brad Strother, Technology Coordinator, to submit bids to vendors and Forms 470 and 471. Bids will be presented at the April 2016 meeting. After approval, bids will be written into contracts that will begin July 1, 2016 and will be effective for one year, with options to renew annually for three years.
- approval of the 2016-17 School Calendar.
- approval for the Central Junior High School Beta Club to attend the State convention March 16-18, 2016 in Birmingham. There will be no cost to the board for this trip.
- approval of 32 Personnel Action items which included the retirement of long- time school bus driver, Willoughby Gaither – Bus Driver and the hiring of Shawnee Gortney as an Ashland Elementary teacher.
Informational items were as follows:
- Congratulations was extended to the Central High School Project Lead the Way Engineering Program for completing the rigorous requirements of the AL State Dept. of Education Business/lndustry Certification Process. The certification period is 2015-2016 to 2020-2021.
- Mr. Walker will be attending a mandatory Superintendents meeting February 24-26 in Tuscaloosa.
- Board members were given information on Unified, Comprehensive, and Equitable System of Learning Supports and a CSFO Employment Contract for review.
The next regular Board Meeting will be March 24, 2016