June 17, 2013
As I sit scrolling through the daily news, I am amazed at the mess this country is in. And it appears to be getting worse with each passing day. Most people want to blame it on the end of time coming, as the Bible begins to fulfill its prophecy and maybe they’re right. Or maybe as a society we have lost our way and just need to put a few things in perspective. So, I’ve prepared a top ten list of things we could do to get our country back into shape:
10. An Eye for an Eye– punishing a person who has committed a crime in a similar fashion. Example: caught stealing, your hands are cut off, you break someone’s leg, then yours gets broken as well. You murder someone, then your death will come in the same manner. Sound inhumane? Maybe…but it works. There’s no sense in anyone who has committed a violent crime and sentenced to death to remain on Death Row for 10 years. That cost the taxpayers millions. Our jails and prisons are overrun with repeat offenders. And why not? Free rent, free food, etc. Many repeat offenders will get out of prison, only to break the law again to get put right back in because its just easier. Third world countries have been practicing this method of punishment for years, and it seems to be working quite nicely for them. Quite frankly, I think being a “civilized” country has made us soft.
9. Limit Politician’s terms to one– There’s a saying out there “If you’re not a crook when you go into office, you’re a crook when you come out”, and its mostly true. I’m not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, but it seems these days that taxpayers are losing their voice as a whole. We sit by and watch helplessly while the people we voted into office pass laws that we don’t agree with, but no one seems to listen, so who else are we going to gripe to? And these same politicians seem to forget that they work for us, that we are the ones who put them where they are now and our tax dollar that pay their salaries. Limit this to one term and you won’t have to worry about any of this.
8. Limit Political Leaders vacations – How many times have we watched as our President has taken very lavish vacation after vacation? Not just him though, this is a common practice with past Presidents. During Bush’s eight year term, he was said to have taken 879 total days vacation. Clinton and Jimmy Carter are said to have spent the least amount of days on vacation. Since Obama took office November 2012, he has already racked up 48 vacation days. The most recent will be a trip to Africa, which comes with a pricetag of 60-100 million to the American taxpayers. The average American family gets 10 vacation days a year, and not all of them are spent away from home. If it’s good enough for them….then it should be good enough for our political leaders.
7. Lower the cost of diesel fuel– I remember a day and time when diesel fuel cost about 20-40 cents lower a gallon than regular and now it as average of 20-40 cents higher. And why exactly did this happen? Oh sure, we get all kinds of speeches about it, reductions in sulfur content, environmental regulations, blah, blah. But in reality there is no excuse for this kind of increase. The truth is they are taxing it to death. In all honesty, the United States has enough crude oil to be self-sufficient, even though the government would never admit it. And every time there is a natural disaster anywhere near the vicinity of an oil refinery, we pay the price at the pumps. Lowering the cost of diesel fuel will reduce freight charges, therefore slashing your prices at the register, wherever you go. This will begin to heal our disastrous economy. It may not be much, but at least it’s a step in the right direction. After all, Rome wasn’t built in a day.
6. Religion– The nation was built on Christian beliefs. “In God We Trust” was our motto and now we have to walk on eggshells when even discussing religion. Why? Why should Christians have to bite their tongue every time to keep from offending anyone? If you ask me, it should be the other way around. If you belong to a different religion, that’s fine. To each his own. A person’s choice of religion is to be respected, not used as a source of ridicule. But like it or not, you cannot deny the fact that when God was in the picture, and the Bible was used as a handbook for life, this country ran a lot smoother.
5. Media hype– Our media is killing us…literally. How many times have you watched as the media sensationalized a mass serial killer? And what was the end result? Giving them exactly what they wanted. The fame they never had. Most gunmen that have stormed schools and malls ended up taking their own life at the end. Why? Because they are cowards. They were nobodys in life, so they want to be remembered for something. Now, being remembered as a killer isn’t much, but to some people, something is better than nothing. And in the aftermath of the tragedy, the media spends weeks and months trying to dissect and analyze these killers to figure out exactly what made them tick. Who cares? They were crazy, let it go. If the laws were changed to never reveal a gunman’s name, then you would see a sharp decline in mass killings.
4. Child behavior– How many of you spank your children? This number is staggeringly low. Oh, I’m not saying beat them, I’m just talking about a good old fashioned whupping. A hand to the backside, a belt, or even a fresh cut switch will cure many things. You can shake your head “No” all you want, but it’s true. This method of punishment is not inhumane or abusive, it is necessary. Kids will push as far as they can on a daily basis, just because they can. Its encoded into their DNA. For those of you in disagreement, yes, this means your child too. And all the amount of “talking”, reasoning, groundings, and timeouts are going to get your nowhere. A child will never respect you until you make them and respect comes from fear. “Spare the Rod, Spoil the Child”. Simply put.
3. Put Prayer Back in School- This goes along with religion and child behavior. Over the past two decades, the number of school shootings have grown tremendously and many innocent children have lost their lives. Think this is a coincidence? Not even a little bit. Schools used to be the safest place for a child to be, and now it’s the scariest. Shootings, killings, rapes, kidnappings, bullying, gangs, drugs, etc. I could go on for days. Back in the day, no one would have ever considered hurting a child. Now it seems to be way of life. Who’s going to protect our children when we can’t? That’s right…God will. All you gotta do is let him back in.
2. Speak English– Press 1 for English. That’s crap. This is America, Jack. You wanna be a U.S. Citizen, that’s fine, but talk the talk. When you visit any other foreign country, you have to learn their language, and that’s the way it should be here. End of story.
1. Welfare Assistance– This is my biggest pet peeve and I could go on for days about it. The people who are living off of government assistance these days who do not really need it is unbelievable. Roughly, 49% of Americans receive some type of government aid and pay no income taxes. You do the math on this one. So, here’s the bottom line on how I think things should go.
- The screening process for any government aid should be more extensive and thorough. Even the cost of hiring additional employees to perform these screenings would still save this country billions.
- Mandatory sterilizations for those who remain on government assistance, while still on government aid. Many women plan to have more children just so they can draw a larger check. There is no excuse for this. Don’t believe me, walk into a Wal-mart on the first or 15th of the month. These people are eating better than we do.
- If help is needed, then have a plan. Put these people in need on a 2-year plan. Give them everything they need to exist and improve their lives on a long-term basis for two years. A place to live, food to eat, a secondhand car to drive, and teach them a trade or provide them with an education that will allow them to be financially independent. But after the two years is up, then they are on their own. Two years is more than adequate period of time to change your life.
America, it’s time for a change…a GOOD one!